In a crisis, everything should be focused on your people. The future of your firm will be defined by the tone you set.
Technology has given us all the channels we need – it’s what you say and the tone that counts.
Employees and clients make judgments based on how a firm communicates and behaves during challenging times. We saw this in NYC during 9/11 where the most effective firms maintained high levels of visibility.
We’re all experiencing news and information overload amid the coronavirus outbreak so we’re going to practice what we preach. Here’s a few focused pointers to help guide you in your communications with your colleagues:
- Internal communication takes absolute precedence
- Communicate clearly, every day. Be visible whenever possible
- Speak to and treat your employees like family
- Be human, positive and supportive
- Re-energise them with optimism, transparency and shared humanity. That’s real leadership
And finally, if we can give you one take away, it’s this: People don’t remember everything you said, but they do remember how you made them feel.